Smoothies are a quick and delicious way to get your servings of fruits and veggies. They are great to whip up after spending a day out in the sun because they'll cool you down and refresh you. We've created a list of smoothie combos that are a must-try.
Each smoothie in the list is packed with nutrient-rich fruit and vegetables. Some have protein-filled yogurt and milk for an energy boost that will keep you going through the rest of the day. Many store-bought options are packed with added sugar, sorbets, and little fruit juice. Our recipes prioritize actual produce to help you get the nutrients you and your family really want.
Smoothies do not only have to be packed with sugar and fruit. You can add veggies to make vegan or green smoothies for those added antioxidants and nutrition. Here are some of our favorite combinations.
- Green Power Smoothie: Power up after a long day in the sun with this fruit and veggie combo. Start by blending 1⁄2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1⁄2 cup honey yogurt, 3 cups baby spinach, and 2 bananas, sliced and frozen.
- Green Nut Smoothie: This vegan smoothie plays off of the classic peanut butter and banana combo. Blend 1 banana, 1 cup nut milk, 1 cup kale, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter or your favorite nut butter, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Tropical Carrot: Carrots also make for a savory smoothie. Whip up 1 peeled orange, 1 large carrot, 1/2 cup mango, 2/3 cup coconut water, 3/4 teaspoon finely grated ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoons of turmeric and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Beginner's Luck: This smoothie has the perfect ratio of fruits to veggies if you are nervous to try other combos. Blend together 1 cup spinach, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup mango, 1/2 cup pineapple, and a banana.
- Cucumber Delight: One veggie left out of smoothies is the cucumber, but it's actually a great addition. First, seed and chop 2 medium cucumbers. Blend with the juice of 1 lime, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup ice, and 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar or honey.
Strawberries are a classic fruit to refresh you during the hot summer months. These are some of our favorite strawberry smoothie combos.
- Strawberry Cupcake: Blend 2 cups strawberries, 1 cup crumbled pound cake, 1 1/2 cups each milk and ice, and sugar to taste. Top with whipped cream and more strawberries for a special dessert treat.
- Strawberry-Kiwi Smoothie: The perfect smoothie for the picky kid in your house. Blend 1 cup strawberries, 2 peeled kiwis, water as needed, and 2 cups ice.
- PB and J: Make your favorite sandwich into a smoothie. Blend together 1 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 2 teaspoons honey, and 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk.
Bananas are an easy fruit to keep on hand at home and throw into a smoothie. Here are some delicious banana smoothie combos.
- Banana Blast: This one is simple in ingredients. Combine 2 cups milk, 2 ripe bananas, 1/4 cup honey, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and blend. Stir if necessary.
- Almond Banana: These two ingredients were made for each other. Blend 1 banana, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon almond butter, and 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract.
- Tropical Banana Blend: Want the tropics in your backyard? Blend 1 cup each chopped fresh or frozen peaches and mango, 1 cup each plain yogurt and ice, 1/2 banana, and sugar to taste.
- Banana-Date-Lime: An unusual combo that is packed with delicious taste. Blend 2 bananas, 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates, the juice of 1 lime, and 1 1/2 cups each soy milk and ice.
Who doesn't love a little tartness in their smoothies? It makes them that much more refreshing. Try out these classic berry smoothie combos.
- Blueberry and Nut: This smoothie is filling, so perfect for the first thing in the day. Blend 2 pitted dates, 2 cups coconut water, 1 cup cashews, 1 cup blueberries, 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1 pinch of salt.
- The Berry Blend: Blend 1 1/2 cups mixed blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries with 1 cup each milk and ice. Add sugar to taste.
- Cherry and Pomegranate: Blend 1 cup frozen pitted cherries, 3/4 cup pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, a pinch each of cinnamon and salt, and 2 cups ice.
- Pomegranate Punch: Blend 1/2 cup pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt, and 1 cup frozen mixed berries.
- Raspberry-Orange: Blend 1 cup each orange juice and raspberries, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 cup ice, and sugar to taste.
After spending a long day outside, there is nothing more refreshing than a freshly blended smoothie. They will chill you down after the scorchers from the hot sun. They can also be customized to fit your nutrient and antioxidant needs. Which one is your favorite?