We cannot pretend that happiness is a constant in our lives. What we can do is to live each day as if it were our last, and strive to get the most out of every experience. Remember that at the end of the trip, the only luggage we take with us is the lessons learned and the moments we enjoyed.
Take a look at this list of ways to be happy:
1. Wake up with a good attitude every day; doing so will change your whole perspective.
2. Spend twenty minutes a day exercising to oxygenate body. Giving oxygen to your brain will clarify your mind to help you make decisions.
3. Take the time to be silent for ten minutes a day.
4. Do everything with love.
5. Listen to good music daily. It is food for the spirit.
6. Remember that each day has a purpose, no matter how small.
7. Live life with energy, enthusiasm and empathy.
8. Play with your children when time allows.
9. Read: alone, to inspire positive thoughts and with your family to bond.
10. Look at the sky at least once a day and be aware of the wonders in the world that surround you each day.
11. Give yourself small moments to daydream.
12. Eat more fruits and vegetables, and eat fewer foods that are processed and fattening.
13. Be grateful for the food you eat, because many people have nothing to eat. Teach your children to be gracious as well.
14. Thank those who make small sacrifices for your benefit.
15. Smile and laugh more often, it's good for your soul.
16. Try to make at least three people laugh every day.
17. Remove clutter from your house, your car and your desktop; it allows for new energy to flow through your life.
18. Do not waste your time on gossip, things of the past, negative thoughts or things you have no control over.
19. Invest your energy in the positives of the present.
20. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are lessons that come and go, and what you learn will last for a lifetime.
21. Remember that your worst enemy is yourself; love yourself and gradually improve what you don't like about yourself.
22. Do not miss the opportunity to embrace the things you love.
23. Practice forgiveness. Life is too short to waste time hating someone.
24. Don't take life so seriously.
25. You are not always going to win every argument. Learn from others.
26. Learn to keep peace with your past so it will not ruin your present.
27. Do not compare your life with others' lives; you have no idea what they have gone through.
28. Nobody is responsible for your happiness, except you.
29. Do not seek happiness through expectations of others.
30. Remember that you don't have control over everything that happens to you, but you can control of how you handle it.
31. Learn something new every day.
32. Only you can allow yourself to be affected by what everyone says about you. Remember that it is impossible to make everyone happy.
33. Appreciate your body, enjoy yourself and take care of yourself.
34. No matter how good or bad a situation is, it will change.
35. Your job will not take care of you when you are sick but your friends will. Stay in touch with them.
36. Discard what is not useful, beautiful or funny.
37. Envy is a waste of time. You already have everything you need.
38. The best is yet to come.
39. No matter how you feel, get up, get dressed and seize the day.
40. Enjoy more, complain less.
41. Love your partner and express that love often.
42. Let your family know how much you love them through a phone call, a letter or an email.
43. Every night before going to bed, give thanks in prayer for everything you hold dear.
44. Remember that there are always blessings awaiting you through difficult times.
45. Enjoy the trip. One chance can have the greatest impact on your life.
46. Look after your health and practice proper posture. Good posture will allow you to be aware of yourself.
47. Do not complain about your age. Birthdays bring people together and age is a privilege.
48. Do not judge anyone.
49. Do not criticize.
50. If you cannot give away your means, simply give a little of yourself to a good cause.
This article has been adapted and translated from the original, "50 maneras de ser feliz," which was published on Familias.com.